This article provides instructions to setup a Virtual machine to host SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview as standalone environment. In this example we are using VM Player 7 to host SP2016.
- Install VM Player 7
Download Path: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/7_0|PLAYER-712|product_downloads
- Map Windows Server 2012 R2 ISO file to drive using Virtual Clone Drive
- Provide personalized login name and password to login to OS.
- Select the location in the local drive where you want to use the virtual machine.
- Specify Disk Capacity. The minimum recommended is 60GB.
- Click on Customize Hardware… and set the RAM for this VM. The minimum recommended is 12 GB for good performance.
- Set the Display for VM based on your guest machine resolution. Also set other required hardware settings.
- Click on Finish to start the OS installation in VM
- Windows Server 2012 setup is starting to install….
- OS Installation is complete.
Install SharePoint 2016 IT Preview
- Mount SharePoint 2016 ISO to a drive and install.
- The setup returned error
- The above error was because the prerequisites were not installed. So ran prerequisiteinstaller.exe from the setup path
- Error occurred during prerequisite installation
- Above error occurred while configuring Web Server (IIS) role. Also install WCF services and Web Server Role Services
- After Adding required features and configuring the services, run the prerequisiteinstaller.exe again
- Prerequisite installer failed again as an error occurred again. Following is the error when trying to run the setup.exe
- Looks like there is some issue in installing products internet connection is required. So enabled the settings to allow using internet connection for VM Ware from my local machine. I’ve selected NAT which gives a virtual machine access to network resources using the host computer's IP address.
- After the above settings, Prerequisite installation started in the VMWare player
- However the installation failed again with following error.
- Following is error message logged in the prerequisite installer log file that the prerequisiteinstaller.Arguments.txt is missing.
- Looks like there still more features need to be installed manually
- Prerequisite installation is completed successfully and press finish to restart the machine.
- Prerequisite Installation is completed successfully. Start the Setup again to install SP 2016 and enter the product Key available at the Microsoft download
- Accept the terms and select the file location.
- Installation started
- Error occurred during setup.
- Following error occurred while closing the installation window. “Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper has stopped Working.”
- Noticed that the internet connection is not enabled for Virtual Machine, so enabled it.
- Installation completed successfully and Configuration Wizard started.
- Click Next
- Click Yes and Next
- Select Connect to an existing server farm for standalone connection and create a new server farm for farm account
- Error occurred while specifying Configuration Database settings.
- After referring to the TechNet articles and forum, it looks like server role parameter is required when joining a farm. As suggested by the articles, the new spconfiguration database has been created using following PowerShell command.
New-SPConfigurationDatabase –DatabaseName SharePoint_Config –DatabaseServer WINDOWS2012VM –AdministrationContentDatabaseName SharePoint_Content –Passphrase (ConvertTo-SecureString Summer01 –AsPlaintext –Force) –FarmCredentials (Get-Credential) -localserverrole SingleServerFarm
- After executing the above commands, the installation proceeds.
- Specify Port number and authentication provider for the Web Application
- SharePoint installation successfully completed.
- A look at SharePoint 2016 Team site home page.